Saturday, February 12, 2011

Birthday and 365 Project

Today is my 19th birthday. I was very excited for this day, but like usual, I don't feel any different. The only new thing about this year is the fact that I decided to try my hand at the 365 Project. For those that don't know what the 365 Project is, it is a project in which you post a picture of something in your life that day, a brief meaning behind the picture and how it affects you as a person. Well, I am doing this slightly different: I am going to add a new post to this blog each day for 365 days (the whole 19th year of my life).

So, leaving that fact behind:

Birthdays are not about yourself; birthdays are about spending time with those you love. Birthdays are about celebrating life together. When I was a child, the most important part of birthdays was the presents, but once you hit "adult age" no one buys you presents anymore. That is when you start to see what a new year truly means: a new beginning. Another birthday allows you to take a break from everything that happened the past year of your life and practically start new.

Honestly, the best "present" for my day was a letter that I received from an old friend in California. She simply ended her letter by saying, "By the way, you are the sweetest person ever. I think you are a very beautiful woman with an amazing, giving heart. You are a gift from God and don't let anyone tell you different." The best present we can be given is love and understanding. Thats why presents that were bought from some store don't matter; what you do doesn't matter. The only thing that matters in this life is that you spend it with those you care about.

It is so cliche, but this life is too short to spend it with those who don't care much about you and you don't care much about them. After realizing how little time I actually spend with my parents and the rest of my family, I have come to love them more.

After stopping to take a moment to reflect on my life, I realized that I just want to be a happier person. I over react to things; I over exaggerate things; I don't take time to honor the little blessings that I am given each and every day. Hopefully, with this next year, I will learn to love the little things, appreciate everything and everyone that I know, and not stress about the events of the future. Love life, and live. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment